The case for salary transparency has been made multiple times, but so has the case for not making individual compensation widely known.
The Case For:
- It can close the pay gap that negatively affects minorities
- Employees can assume they’re underpaid if management discourages salary transparency
- Pay differences can be taken out of context if you’re not totally transparent
The Case Against:
- Could spark jealousy
- Could pit employees against each other
- Employees sometimes just aren’t interested in knowing
Interested in different levels of salary transparency? Workable details them here.